Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Food for the Gods



What do you do when you have bags of walnuts and dates inside your freezer?
You go ahead and bake some "food for the gods."
For the life of me, I don't know how this moist bar got its name but this is not to be confused with ambrosia.
Anyway, last night my mom and I made some food for the gods. We chopped up dates and walnuts (i still have to buy a transformer to use my dad's cuisinart) using trusty old knives and creamed fresh butter in a bowl of an electric mixer. Then we added sugar, eggs, flour and the rest of the ingredients. Popped the pans in the oven. Et voila! Food for the gods.
I posted a recipe for food for the gods. It's not my mom's recipe but it's good nonetheless. Don't forget to sprinkle the top of the batter with brown sugar before putting it into the oven for an added crunch.



This is how it looks like straight from the oven and onto the board.
Speckled with juicy dates and crunchy walnuts.


Food for the Gods



2 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chopped dates
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup flour

Preheat oven to 300F. Grease and flour a 13 x 9 x 2-inch rectangular pan. Set aside.
In a bowl, cream butter. Add sugar, eggs, nuts and dates. Fold in the dry ingredients. Spread on prepared pan andsprinkle top with brown sugar. Bake for 30 to 4o minutes or until done. Cut into bars.

2 comments:

Dana aka Gluten Free In Cleveland said...

I've never heard of this recipe before, but I absolutely love it. It sounds like a homemade version of Larabars - but warm and probably much more spongey.

I bet it would convert to gluten free easily by using rice flour. Yum, I love it and can't wait to try it out!!

marica said...

@ Dana : thanks for dropping by. good luck making these bars gluten free :) by the way what are Larabars?